4/1/09

Are You Afraid Of...

The definition of phobia is a persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous. Generally they are caused by an experience had at some point in ones life that has, in result, given that thing or situation a negative connotation. Sadly… I am someone who suffers from many phobias, but it sure does make life interesting! Following are some of my more prominent phobias.


Achluophobia aka nyctohylophobia, scotophobia, or lygophobia



Fear of the dark... This is actually considered a phase of child development and is heightened by imagination. In most cases, you grow out of your fear of the dark. Not me. I had a night light through high school, used a lamp through my first few years of college, and occasionally leave the hall light on. If you turn the light off, I either need to be drunk, or already have my eyes closed. I think my imagination is a little overactive… I imagine all sorts of terrifying creatures and things in the dark… Darkness also reminds me of a feeling… one that threatens to drag me down into the depths of despair. If there are other people there with me in the dark it’s not so bad. Then my chances of being drug down to hell by a creature of the night are significantly lessened. Because I have my flashlight, so while YOU are being abducted, I’M turning on my light and avoiding eternal damnation. Sorry guys, it’s your soul or mine.


Agoraphobia


This is the fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets; also fear of leaving a safe place. The worst place for me is the Spectrum up at USU. It doesn't matter whether there are a couple of hundred or a couple thousand people there, I can't handle it. I went to a USU Gymnastics meet a couple of years ago, and it did not go over well. I lasted about fifteen minutes before having a panic attack. It's quite embarrassing when you are sitting there watching a routine on the uneven bars and you start hyperventilating and bawling uncontrollably.This is a real bummer because I am unable to go and watch my sister's cheerleading team for fear of freaking out. And I say no to going to see awesome concerts if they are going to be in a venue any larger than a bar.


Amaxophobia
The fear of riding in a car. Being involved in so many accidents has kinda screwed with my head. It's gotten better as time goes on, but I HATE riding in a car. Driving doesn't bother me, it's being a passenger in a car that drives me insane. It goes back to my overactive imagination. Where you see a winding road... I see our bodies horribly mangled and burning in a pile of shapeless metal at the bottom of a ravine. Yes I actually picture this in my head as you are driving. I imagine all of the worst possible scenarios for each situation. I have learned some good techniques to help me cope with this phobia, because in this day and age you HAVE to ride in a car occasionally. So if you are ever driving me somewhere and I seem to be off in my own little world... I AM. Take your pick: Spacey Chontel... or Psychotic Chontel. While you may think the two things are synonymous, they are not.

2 comments:

Lindee said...

Hmm....apparently I'm Amaxophobic. I never knew! I do the same as you....it's awful. I don't like to drive either, but I don't freak out nearly as bad (unless other people are being stupid and the weather sucks).....so what's the cure??

Unknown said...

I don't know if there IS a cure! Singing really helps me. Out loud or in my head. So does talking. But either way, I don't even look at the road. I'm sure I would look like a crazy person staring into nothingness if you looked at me while riding in a car!