12/18/08

What Big Eyes You Have!


I am not one who takes compliments well. I love being complimented, but I tend to become embarrassed. Even when given just a small compliment I'm not sure how to handle it. I say thank you, and I mean it, but then I feel like I should compliment them in return. I don't like to do that though, because then it seems solicited, not sincere. I'm kind of curious to know whether others have the same thoughts and feelings, and if not, what ARE their thoughts and feelings? What is the appropriate way to respond to compliments? When does the complimenting become excessive?

Judging by my experience with dating, there must be a lot of women who "require" constant complimenting, because that's what the majority of the men in my past have done. Always complimenting something to do with the way I look, or the things I do or my quirks. Sometimes it feels sincere, but most of the time it feels like they are trying to score brownie points in case they do something to piss me off.

I really do appreciate the acknowledgement of my strengths, unique talents, and such, but don't say it unless you really mean it. Don't search for compliments because you think it will make me happy. I just want the people in my life to be true to themselves.

2 comments:

Lindee said...

I always feel like I should compliment back too, but that just seems weird. Especially if I really don't have anything in mind to compliment on. Usually I just thank them for the compliment, but feel really strange for not saying much more. I'm always afraid people will think I'm rude, but I really don't know what else to do either. I suppose I'm not much help, but now you know I feel pretty much the same way you do!

C.B. said...

I also have a hard time accepting compliments It's good you don't say a compliment back, it seems insincere to me too.