So... whenever I am around my mother's friends and neighbors they always ask whether or not I'm engaged yet. They make it seem like because I am 23 years old, I should be married with multiple midgets by now. I think this mentality in Utah is contributing to the rising divorce rate. Is it so terrible that I would rather wait until I find the person that I want to spend the rest of my life with before commiting? To me, marriage is forever. It's not something that I take lightly. And I think it's been made far to easy to get out of. I am among a small number of people that I went to high school with who has yet to be married. I'm completely ok with this. Most of my friends were married not long out of high school. And now, five and a half years later... most of my friends are either divorced or in the middle of divorce. They didn't take the time to make sure it was someone they could live with for the rest of their lives. They were just in love with the idea of being married.
One of them ended up being hospitalized by the jerk that she married. One of them is currently being isolated from her friends by her manipulative, potentially abusive, control freak husband. Two of them now have three children that they have been left to raise alone because these deadbeats don't know what it means to be a father. One of my friends found out his wife was sleeping with half of Salt Lake. Another one found out his daughter wasn't his... when she turned 3. Even my friends who thought it was forever and married in the temple are splitting up. It's tragic.
The church and the movies glorify marriage and make it seem like once you take your vows everything is easy. It's not! Having a succesful marriage is one of the hardest tasks you will ever take on. BUT... it's not all negative. I know a lot of people with great marriages. My parents have been married for 26 years and they are still completely smitten with each other. THAT is what I want. And I have seen that in some of my friend's marriages as well. So DON'T judge me because I'm not married yet. I am very ready to settle down... but I refuse to settle. I will wait as long as I have to in order to find the one who will still give me butterflies after 26 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment